Saturday 26 February 2011

Day 14 & 15 - Ekaterinburg - Stepping back in time

 
Welcome to Ekaterinburg


4,039 Miles GMT +6hrs  Temp -9 

Our journey to Ekaterinburg was splendid, the landscape through the Ural mountain range with pine forests and small villages of wooden houses was very beautiful. I spent most of the journey glued to the window watching Russia go by and daylight disappear into one of the starriest skies I’ve ever seen.

The first village in Asia


We’re staying at Lena’s family ‘Dacha’, which she had kept as a surprise. The Dacha is a Russian institution that dates back to the mid 18th century, essentially a holiday home, ranging greatly in size and stature, but always with a garden that is used to grow food. 

When we arrived in Ekaterinburg we left out luggage at the station to go shopping at the market and Supermarket. No ‘buyski one get oneski free’ here or Tesco. I recognised some of the labels, as it’s just the use of cyrillic writing that differentiates some of the items from home, although some of the labelling is quite hilarious. Laden like pit ponies with shopping and luggage we took two buses and then had to walk about three miles down a snowy track, but finally we arrived at the Dacha. 

Google maps failed here

 It took a little while to warm the place up, with a wood fire and wood burning stove. There is electricity via a generator, but we just used candles and oil lamps. It’s delightful here. I wouldn’t swap this for unlimited time in the best hotel in Russia. It’s like finding the real Russia and stepping into a Chekhov play. A bit like a Russian version of Beamish. When we finally had dinner on the stove, Lena gave me a guided tour and told me about her family and the history in the Dacha. The snow was blowing against the windows of the wooden cabin, built by Lena’s great great grandfather in 1800’s. Family pictures of her ancestors, who have mostly made the furnishings in the house, the men making the furniture and the women having made the rugs, quilts and cushions. In a wardrobe, her mothers wedding dress, and her grandfathers boots. In the living room, a small Russian orthodox shrine, rocking chairs by the fire, a chess set made by her grandfather, along with old family military awards and more family photos. 

The kitchen
 
 I fell asleep while I was writing this last night, so you’re getting a double edition today, as I’m finding the time zone changes confusing and don’t think I can write this a day behind where I am. I get confused enough has it is.

I woke up early this morning, got properly dressed this time, to see the outside of the Dacha and the garden as it was too dark last night. The garden is covered in snow, it stands in a small orchard of cherry and apple trees with a garden on the other side about the size of two bowling greens.

An English breakfast followed, which was well received. I asked Lena about the other small building, which I thought was a tool shed. “No that’s the Banya, the sauna. The tradition is to go in there and heat yourself to sweating point, then beat yourself with willow or oak twigs to get the circulation going, before dowsing yourself in the snow or cold pool or river, repeating the whole process several times times. All part of the experience Gail” – laughing her head off. – “Bugger off!” my reply.

The Banya

We’ve had a visitor today, Lena’s Aunt Galina. We gave her some of the M & S Goodies, shortbread and marmalade, which she seemed genuinely delighted with. She talked almost non-stop for an hour through Lena, asking me questions about England and my family and Anya about hers, until finally Lena asked her to take a breath, she chuckled and said she would go and sort out lunch. As we ate she asked if I liked the dacha, and I told her I thought it was beautiful, and I felt very privileged to see it. It was just a shame it wasn’t spring or summer to see the garden and orchard. Lena told Galina I used to be a gardener. Well that was it, out with the vodka, I was hugged to near suffocation, followed by an offer of adoption :)

After lunch we cleared the table and Galina brought out photo albums, some of the photos went back to the 1920’s. The albums are effectively a chronicle of the Dacha and the family. It was fascinating to be guided through them by Galina and Lena. The women were dressed just like northern fish wives, right up until the 1960’s, with long skirts, long aprons and headscarves, working away in among rows of beans or up ladders picking fruit. The men leaning on hoes and forks smoking pipes. It took me back to my grandparent’s allotment, all those years ago, and Galina was very interested to hear about it. 

Galina

We’ve spent the whole day with Galina and her lovely cat Ivana, who she carried here in her shopping bag. She told me stories of the good old days and the bad old days through Lena and Anya. Galina is 79, she left school at 16 and became a nurse. She’s never left Ekaterinburg, she said by the time she could, it was too late. She brought out some of the postcards that Lena has sent her, and said that she had seen some of Russia through them.

Galina is going to return tomorrow, I’m going to cook something English for her, as she was curious about what we eat, and we’re going to show her the photos that I’ve taken so far on the trip, as she would really like to see them.

We’re going to stay here for a few days. The trip has been fabulous but it’s been quite relentless, we’re all ready to slow down a little and re-charge our batteries and this is the perfect place.

No comments:

Post a Comment