Wednesday 16 February 2011

Day 1 in Russia - St Petersburg


2408 Miles GMT +3 hours Temp -4
Have a nice day


Customs and border control on the train was a little slow but completely painless, apart from the fact it started at 2 am. No searching of bags, no standing in queues in my socks, or having my toiletries confiscated because they might be a bomb. I am now officially in Russia and it's been a lot less hassle than flying, as well as infinitely more interesting.

The piece of paper I've been issued with on the train and attached to my passport is something I need to have stamped at each place I stay. As we are staying at apartments in St Petersburg and Moscow, Anya and I will have to go to a travel agent or hotel to buy the stamps. The paper and the stamps provide two things for Russia, foreign income, as well as a record of where we’ve been. Failing to comply can lead to problems when you want to leave, and I'm told that policemen looking to supplement their income frequent the main stations to impose fines on non-suspecting independent tourists who are not aware of the system.

We did manage to find the apartment with a little help from GPS, and it's much better than I had hoped. We also do the shopping at the supermarket - google maps, never leave home without it. We had a few hours until we supposed to meet Lena in McDonalds by the station, where Anya and I are kept entertained by loud frustrated Americans, as the menu boards are only in Russian. Why do Americans think if they shout in monosyllables they will be understood - idiots. We are settling into our second cup of coffee when Lena arrives. I get her a coffee and while we're sitting I ask her if the cups still say have a nice day? No, we changed them, they say "f**kski off back to America" now she laughs. 

The vodka aisle at the supermarket


When we get back to the apartment and Lena gets herself settled in she offers me a glass of vodka to toast our trip. I'm not keen, but I know it would be bad form to refuse - "You want the real Russia, then you have to participate", she laughs. Petard, hoisted, come to mind. I'm then told that "Na zdorovje" as a toast is a myth, the Russian version of cheers is "Budem". My Russian education had begun.

Non-Russian education begins shortly afterwards, as Lena informs us that she can't cook. "I have always been fed, I go to the canteen or eat army rations." - Yes well the officers mess is closed, get you pinny on pet, lesson one's tonight. If you want to see British democracy in action, then you have to participate.

We've had a great evening just catching up with each other and finalising our itinerary for St Petersburg………….Hermitage here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment